VMware Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2018 Results
- Revenue for the fourth quarter was $2.31 billion, an increase of 14% from the fourth quarter of 2016.
- Revenue for fiscal year 2018 was $7.92 billion, an increase of 12% from 2016.
“Our strong Q4 and terrific fiscal year 2018 results demonstrate the power of our broad-based portfolio and a strategy that continues to resonate, resulting in strong customer momentum,” commented Pat Gelsinger, chief executive officer, VMware. “As we celebrate our twentieth anniversary this year, we remain committed to delivering breakthrough software innovation that drives customer success.”
“Q4 closed a strong fiscal year 2018 for VMware,” said Zane Rowe, executive vice president and chief financial officer, VMware. “We achieved $7.9 billion in revenue and operating cash flows of over $3.2 billion for the year, while continuing to invest in products and services to drive future growth.”
Recent Highlights & Strategic Announcements
- VMware announced expanded availability of VMware Cloud on AWS to include the AWS U.S. East (N. Virginia) region in addition to the U.S. West (Oregon) region. VMware and AWS also introduced additional VMware capabilities and support for VMware Site Recovery and VMware vMotion, making it even easier for customers to move, run and protect mission-critical applications at scale.
- VMware completed its acquisition of VeloCloud Networks. This industry-leading, cloud-delivered SD-WAN solution is now a part of VMware’s growing software-based networking portfolio. The acquisition of VeloCloud significantly advances the company’s strategy of enabling customers to run, manage, connect and secure any application on any cloud to any device
- VMware introduced VMware Cloud Foundation 2.3, the latest release of its integrated hybrid cloud platform. VMware Cloud Foundation 2.3 introduces integrated cloud management platform (CMP) capabilities that provide customers with a simplified path to building a hybrid cloud, based on consistent infrastructure and operations.
- In February, VMware and Pivotal announced the general availability of Pivotal Container Service (PKS). PKS is a Kubernetes-based container service designed to meet the needs of operators and developers by providing native Kubernetes combined with advanced day-1 and day-2 capabilities needed to run Kubernetes at scale in production.
- VMware has been positioned in the Leaders quadrant of Gartner, Inc.’s February 2018 Magic Quadrant for Hyperconverged Infrastructure.(1)
- VMware has been positioned as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Mobility Management, Q4 2017, evaluating enterprise mobility management (EMM) vendors.(2) The company was also named a leader in the “IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software for Ruggedized/IoT Device Deployments 2017 Vendor Assessment.”(3)
- VMware announced the general availability of VMware Pulse IoT Center, the first solution in a new family of VMware Internet of Things (IoT) offerings. VMware Pulse IoT Center is an enterprise grade, IoT device management and monitoring solution that helps Information Technology and Operational Technology organizations to onboard, manage, monitor and secure their IoT use cases from the edge to the cloud.
(1) Gartner, “Magic Quadrant for Hyperconverged Infrastructure,” John McArthur et al, 6 February 2018
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
(2) Forrester, David. K Johnson, et. al., The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Mobility Management, Q4 2017, November 30, 2017
(3) IDC, Phil Hochmuth, IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software for Ruggedized/IoT Device Deployments 2017 Vendor Assessment, #US43159917, November 201