Accelerating Enterprise Transformation: a perspective on VMworld 2017 Europe
By Joe Baguley, Vice President & Chief Technology Officer, EMEA at VMware
Back to Barcelona we go! Hard to think it’s been just under a year since we last met at the Fira Gran Via. This time we are hot on the heels of an amazing VMworld in Vegas.
Over the past year, nothing has stood still, especially not VMware and its amazing customers and partners.
The future has never looked better — every industry continues to undergo an unprecedented journey of change, and we are helping our customers discover their optimal path to success. It is our goal is to enable our customers to run, manage, connect and secure any application on any cloud to any device. We do this by providing proven technologies and techniques to enable them to make the most of the opportunities before them.
Our focus is on four core priorities, and you will see these as themes at the show:
- Modernise Data Centres
- Integrate Public Clouds
- Empower the Digital Workspace
- Transform Security
We made some massive announcements in every space in Vegas – and demonstrated their power too. During the next few days at VMworld 2017 Europe, we are going to share additional news (yes, there’s more!) about new offerings and initiatives designed to help our customers achieve their digital transformation goals.
- We are empowering cloud provider partners to drive innovation, accelerate new service delivery, help their customers build their hybrid clouds and create unique differentiation through our VMware Cloud Provider™ Program.
- We will be making multi-cloud management simpler and more efficient with a series of updates to VMware vRealize Suite.
- We are upping the power and flexibility of software containers in production with enhancements to VMware vSphere Integrated Containers™ 1.2.
- We are making digital workspaces more secure and flexible through forging new relationships with VMware Mobile Security Alliance Partners.
- Finally, we are allowing our Communications Service Provider customers to bring more solutions, faster and more efficiently to market with a new OpenStack version of VMware vCloud NFV platform.
Let’s take a moment to look at the impact of these announcements.
Digital Transformation is about using the latest technology and methods to create competitive advantage and, more importantly, new possibilities for your business—faster innovation, better more secure ways of working, breakthrough business models and exceptional customer experiences.
VMware is unveiling new innovations to help VMware Cloud Provider partners to expand service offerings to drive revenue and growth, improve overall economics through lower cost and more efficient operations, and create unique differentiation through VMware’s Cloud Provider program. The news includes:
- Initial availability of VMware’s HCX technology to enable multi-cloud and multi-site application migration and portability – this unlocks hybrid possibilities;
- Debut of VMware Cloud Provider Platform to address the strategic business imperatives of Cloud Providers globally;
- New VMware Cloud™ Verified Trust Mark and initial VMware Cloud Verified partners;
- Continued innovation and success of VMware Cloud Providers globally
Business and IT leaders agree that data centre and cloud transformation will yield big benefits, including greater business agility and responsiveness to change; greater cost efficiencies; and faster time to innovation for new applications.
Automation is key to success in this area, especially where is comes to effective production operations.
vRealize Suite 2017 integrates the latest releases of vRealize Automation, vRealize Operations, vRealize Business for Cloud and vRealize Log Insight to help realise these big benefits. Stand out new features include:
- Enhanced lifecycle management capabilities that streamline the installation of VMware’s cloud management platform and simplify upgrades and patches; it also great makes Day 0 through Day 2 tasks much easier;
- Increased Support for Containers, Configuration Management Tools and Microsoft Azure;
- Native Operations of VMware vSAN powered HCI Solutions that improves application and infrastructure performance.
2017 is the year when containers are transitioning from their experimental status toward production use. Faster application deployment, cost savings and application portability, are key reasons for today’s rapid container adoption. vSphere Integrated Containers provides critical enterprise container infrastructure to help IT Ops run both traditional and containerised applications side-by-side on a common platform while giving developers what they would expect from a container environment. As part of vSphere 6.5, vSphere Integrated Containers 1.2 delivers significant new capabilities including the ability to provision native Docker container hosts, major security enhancements, and a unified management portal.
Security attack vectors across the digital workspace are growing as the number of endpoint platforms, apps and user types steadily increase. VMware Workspace ONE is the core platform for a modern security architecture with application and device security essentials natively built-in. Workspace ONE also provides purpose-built application programming interfaces (APIs) for the security ecosystem to integrate with the platform. When you bring together Workspace ONE and security solutions from our Mobile Security Alliance (MSA) partners, customers benefit from a modern security platform that protects against targeted threats across devices, users, apps, and data; both in the cloud and on-premises.
VMware established the MSA to bridge the gaps between existing legacy security tools and provide a foundational platform for securing all mobile endpoints across an enterprise. At inception in 2015, the MSA consisted of 10 trusted security partners across four categories including endpoint, application, cloud and network security. As the number of security attack surfaces increases, so does the breadth of the MSA ecosystem. Today we are announcing the addition of Bay Dynamics, CipherCloud, Entrust Datacard, Gurucul, Intercede and Kaymera to the alliance, bringing the total number of partners to 23 across six total categories, including two new categories – authentication and analytics.
Facing unprecedented traffic growth along with rapidly evolving customer expectations and new OTT services, communication service providers are transforming their industry by accelerating adoption of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV). Following on from the recent announcement of VMware Integrated OpenStack 4 we’re excited to announce an OpenStack specific version of the vCloud NFV platform. VMware vCloud NFV OpenStack Edition will help customers get up and running with the fastest path to production deployment of OpenStack. Targeted at Communications Service Providers it will enable them to quickly and reliably deploy and upgrade OpenStack NFV environments—allowing them to accelerate service delivery, simplify management, increase agility and service security and readily develop new revenue streams.
THE WEEK AT VMWORLD 2017 EUROPE
As enterprises begin to experience the benefits of their unique digital transformations, VMware, and its partners, are helping organisations to do this by bringing together technologies and techniques that are easily deployable and consumable to help them to further differentiate their business and compete effortlessly, wherever they go, however fast they want to go.
Designed for those who drive digital transformation at every level, our conference – VMworld 2017 Europe – provides attendees with opportunities to connect, learn, and innovate in the world of IT and business.
This event is the highlight of my year, and also the busiest few days of my year. Always tiring but also rewarding – I hope you enjoy the show.